Phad Ka Phrao is perhaps one of the Thai dishes that is most commonly eaten by locals, enjoyed for its simplicity, strong flavour and appealing price. This Holy stir-fry basil recipe is a must-try for any Thai food enthusiast and Tida’s vegan version does not disappoint!
This dish is so simple and quick to make – so grab your ingredients, utensils and follow along. You will be enjoying its spicy delicious taste in no time!
1 to 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
- Thai Basil
- Garlic (around 5 small segments)
- Fresh Birds Eye Chili (5 to 10 depending on desired spice level)
- Cooking Oil
- 1/2 block of white firm Tofu
- 1 large King Oyster Mushroom
- White Soy Sauce – 1 Table spoon
- Black Soy Sauce – 1 Table spoon
- Mushroom Powder – 1 Table spoon
- Brown Rice
- Firstly, get your rice cooking as this dish is best served over brown rice.
- Place tofu in a small bowl and mash it into small pieces with a fork.
- Chop the Mushroom into very tiny pieces. The smaller the better to create a mince meat texture.
- Pound the chili and garlic in the mortar to a chunky paste, if you don’t have a mortar you can use a blender.
- Heat the pan, add some oil and fry the chili and garlic paste for around 30 seconds before adding tofu and mushroom.
- Continue frying whilst stirring everything together for around 1 minute.
- Add around 1/4 cup of water and the Soy sauces and mushroom powder.
- Fry for another 30 seconds before adding basil leaves.
- Stir through basil leaves whilst frying for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and serve over steamed brown rice
- Garnish the side of the plate with sliced cucumber.